Re: Simple solution to illegible handwriting on timing cards

To: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Subject: Re: Simple solution to illegible handwriting on timing cards
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:19:29 -0700
In message <20000601221006.304.qmail@patheticgeek.net>, "Kevin Lahey" writes:
> This reminds me -- I'm usually moderately anal about my on-line privacy,
> but I happily provided all this data to the SCCA without thinking twice.
> Of late, it's been my laziness, rather than my concern with information
> hygenie, that has kept me from filling in all of those fields.
> How important are they?
>
> I mean, do we really need the driver's license and car license?
> Is the SCCA member number used for anything?

If a car is observed to be doing something unsafe, like the car that was
  doing donuts at round 5, having the license number makes it possible to
  identify who it was and take appropriate action.

As for driver's license number, I'm not sure what that's used for.
  I suppose SCCA number could be used to confirm that someone really is
  a member and not just lying to save 10 bucks on their entry fee. I
  don't know if it's ever actually checked, though.

> [Oh, yeah, I notice that NASA and some other places are starting
> to ask for e-mail addresses.  It might be cool to fit that in, too...]

First you are concerned about privacy, then you think it'd be cool if we
  collect email addresses, too. :)

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA