Re: SFR's Round 5

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Subject: Re: SFR's Round 5
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:15:01 -0700
In message <414A2C2CDF45D3118DBF0008C79F078502DBD2@ca00exh02.ca.atitech.com>, C
arl Merritt writes:
> So roughly 5.5 hours for the first 4 run groups.  Which equals 330 minutes;
> times .75 is 247.5 minutes; which means if we make the rash assumption that
> half of the 271 entrants ran in the first 4 groups we could have saved an
> hour and 20 minutes by having everyone run 3 runs from the start.  Combine
> that savings with the time lost from the late start, and we could have
> pushed the final car time back a couple hours, maybe 5:45 or so.
>
> Do we know how many of the 271 ran in which half the day?

Here are my notes on how many cars were in each run group.

Group   Runs    Drivers         Time    Min/driver      min/run
  1     4       44              1:30    2.0             0.51 (31 sec)
  2     4       54 (!)          2:05    2.3             0.58 (35 sec)
  3     4       28              1:05    2.3             0.58 (35 sec)
  4     4       32              1:25    2.7             0.66 (40 sec)
  5     3       42              1:20    1.9             0.63 (38 sec)
  6     3       24?             0:40    1.7             0.55 (33 sec)
  7     3       25?             0:40?   1.6             0.53 (32 sec)
  8     3       25?             0:40?   1.6             0.53 (32 sec)

Times include switchover to start of next run group. In other words, I
  just recorded what time each group started, and subtracted.

Numbers of runs do not include reruns, and are approximate for
  round 6 because no one was posting the times, so I couldn't get a
  count, and for runs 7 & 8 because I was running in group 8 and was
  too busy to count. Times are approximate for groups 7 & 8 because
  I was running in group 8 and failed to notice what time it got
  started, but the total of the two is right because I did note what
  time group 7 started and group 8 finished.

In the first 4 groups we handled 158 drivers in 6:05 hours (Oy vey!
  Somebody shoot that event chair!), averaging 2.3 minutes per
  driver. They had 4 runs each, for an average of 0.58 minutes, or
  35 seconds each run, including reruns & worker changes.

In the last 4 groups we handled ~116 drivers in 3:20 hours, averaging
  1.7 minutes per driver. They had 3 runs each, for an average of 0.57
  minutes, or 34 seconds each run, including reruns & worker changes.

So it looks like giving 3 runs from the beginning would have saved about
  an hour and a half, which would have gotten us finished at about 6:20.
  If we hadn't had the generator problems, we would have been started at
  least a half an hour earlier and been done by 6 (but I won't claim
  that we would have gotten started at 9, I was running a little
  late getting the course set up).

I have no way to quantify how much the long course effected things. I
  did do some timing between car starts, and found that we were
  generally in the 20-25 second range.

A long course doesn't slow things down until something goes wrong
  and the red flags come out. Then we have to wait for cars to
  travel the long course at reduced speed, and more cars have to have
  reruns. I'd guess that it's an extra 30 seconds for driving off the
  course (as compared to a more typical length course), and an extra
  25 seonds for the extra rerun. So it's almost an extra minute per
  red flag if the course is long enough to have 4 cars on the course
  at a a time instead of 3.

But as John Kelly already said, there were too many red flags to
  count. I think we may have had more red flags than were really
  absolutely necessary on Saturday, but it's better to have 10 too
  many, rather than 1 too few. A shorter course would be more
  appropriate at sites that have big turnouts. And unfortunately, at
  sites that have smaller turnouts, like Stockton, we don't have room
  for a large course. C'est la vie. :-/

  Keith Hearn
  Round 5 Event Co-Chair
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA

This email server is running an evaluation copy of the MailShield anti-
spam software. Please contact your email administrator if you have any
questions about this message. MailShield product info: www.mailshield.com