re: #People

To: Bay Area Autocross News Group <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: #People
From: "Kristi A. Soo Hoo" <ksoohoo@iresults.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:05:23 -0700
hi again:

>Kristi: Do you know the breakdown of SCCA members vs.
>non-members signing up for Oakland/3Com events?

nope - i don't know the exact break out.  however, i know quite a few
entrants are non-members.  I find it a nice idea to allow non-members to
run.  Many people are just trying it out and it is a steep price to ask
them to join before running only to find they hate it and never come out
again.  If joining were less expensive, then I would say members only.

>1) If we switched to two registration sessions,
>*without* limiting the number of entrants, nothing
>would change over how it is now, except the reg lines
>would be longer. You might find it difficult to close
>registration - "just one more person" will always want
>to sign up.

likely, but also likely that people that show up late in the AM will not
be able to run.  that would be a few less people.  and, i do believe in
a limited number of entrants.  250 or so is alot of entrants.  if we are
able to hit that with lots of people spare, we are doing excellent.
most likely, though, as the season wears on, this will not be an issue.
but for those days that it might be an issue, we need a plan.

>2) Two registration sessions are only going to be
>meaningful if the first session is for morning and the
>second is for afternoon and entries are limited. This
>would be tough to enforce without different colored
>entry cards or writing someone's class on the card.
>Too much trouble, I think. Just the thought of this
>has me figuring out ways to print my own cards and
>mailing the SCCA a check for 16x$25 at the beginning
>of the year ;-)

no necessarily - if we close reg, then people can not continue to sign
up for the AM run groups through out the morning, like they can now.

>4) I wish you hadn't mentioned pre-registration :-)
>This is Pandora's box. I'd rather we didn't talk about
>it (yet) than dismiss it as unworkable.

i was merely trying to respond to all of the suggestions out there...

>Alternatively, follow the laws of supply and demand and raise prices
and
>pocket the difference (yay site fund!) until people stop showing up,
then
>lower prices again when we're back trying to attract people.  Hey, it
works
>for the gas companies! :)

true...don't think that would go over too well with everyone, though!

>Yeah, but then the drivers will have the "Great AutoX-Out 2000" where
they
>will all skip one day of a double header weekend and then double enter
on
>Sunday.  THEN where would our little load-balancing scheme be eh?  =P

my fear too!  let us NOT get into the pre-something or other thought,
ok?

>I think Kristi's plan is pretty well thought out.

that is very nice of you to say - thank you!

>Two specific registration
>time periods for the two halves of the day, two pools of cards of a
limited
>specific size, any extra cards are available for fun run purchase in
the
>last, oh, 15-30 minutes of the registration window.

that one would be tough to do - there are quite a few people that show
up to run the afternoon in the early AM.  we will have to think more on
the fun run thing.

>I'm not sure if we would really want to do a SCCA member vs. non-member
pool
>of cards, that would increase complexity in card
production/sorting/handing
>out no?

yes - i agree with that one!

>Wouldn't printing cards on two different shades of card-stalk be rather

>easy?  Aren't the cards just kinkos printed? or do we order them up
special
>from the National office or something?

i don't know - i am sure someone out there will clarify for us.  i
imagine, though, it is not big deal.  but, again, i think it would be
too much to break out AM and PM people....still want to keep things
simple for me, right!

:)

--
Kristi A. Soo Hoo
Idea Integration

-- Dogs leave paw prints on the souls of those who love them. --