SCCA's new President

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SCCA's new President
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:44:29 -0400
        When the SCCA National Board of Directors met in early May, the
pre-announced goal was to narrow down the six candidates to succeed Nick
Craw from six to three.
        Instead the BoD liked one candidate so well they began contract
negotiations with that person.
        Our inquiries as to whether a San Francisco Region person was the
finalist drew an evasive answer but not a denial. Curious, no? <G> Perhaps
just a tease?
        Exactly when the official announcement will be made is thus an
unknown but I'd guess we'll all learn who it is by the end of May.
        My only question is will the new person be announced in Sports Car
only or will there be a public announcement?

        My own personal favorite already works in the National office, is a
20+ year SCCA member, and is Nick's apparent hand-picked successor. In fact
the only thing "negative" is that Nick hired him in the first place. <G>

        Two other former SCCA vice presidents have told me they left SCCA's
employ because they didn't "see" Nick moving up or out. Thus their personal
future hopes for advancement were unlikely to happen in SCCA.
        In one of those cases --Bill King--the man was re-hired to put out
a political fire started by 11-12 Southeast REs who demanded Nick Craw be
fired. That was about five-six years ago.
        A third former SCCA VP--Costa Dunias--still lives in the Denver
area. Dunias was let go by Craw with a "Golden Parachute," i.e. Dunias
spent his final year of full-time SCCA employment earning a Masters degree.
        Another interesting angle: Several years ago when CART was shopping
for a leader, Nick Craw announced publically he was a candidate. CART hired
Andrew Craig. Craig's contract is up at the end of 2000.

--John Kelly