Kragen's torque practices

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Kragen's torque practices
From: Vitaly Iourtchenko <vitaly@nuance.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:14:12 -0700
I had a puncture yesterday, and not willing to go through the
humiliation of driving on a spare, I decided to get it fixed right
away. It was late, but Kragen's was still open, so I decided to
let them patch up my nearly bald Yoko. Bad idea.

To make a long story short, the dude working the shop torqued my
wheel to 130 ft-lb (vs 80 ft-lb). It turns out some bloke in a
Suburban lost a wheel on the highway, and sued the shop. Now they
torque all cars to 130 ft-lb. When I tried to bring the issue of
warped rotors to his attention, I was met with a blank stare...

To add insult to injury, he scratched the powdercoating on my wheel
to the metal while trying to figure out how the mounting machine
works. Why are these people so incompetent??

Vitaly
#87 CSP del Sol