Re: Public Flames and the SFR Clique(tm) (was NorPAc Divisional Update)

To: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Public Flames and the SFR Clique(tm) (was NorPAc Divisional Update)
From: Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 12:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Andy McKee wrote:

> I see that your propensity for taking one small slight against
> you and blowing it all out of proportion continues.  I stayed
> at the same hotel in Selma and had a very pleasant time.
> Reservations were easy, the room was nice, what more
> do you want in Bopunk?  Perhaps your continued negative experiences
> with hotels, autocross regions, people in general come from the
> common denominator in all of them, *you*.

Oh yeah, it's all my fault.  So you stayed at the same hotel.  BIG DEAL.
Just because YOU had a perfect room doesn't mean that everybody else did.
It just so happens that my room was quite nice EXCEPT for the lack of A/C
and the UNWILLINGNESS of the staff to address the problem.  And for that
you say I'm overreacting?  It's nice to know you're so open-minded.

> Let's look at one example that I participated in personally.
> At the SFR Aquabowl (where Derek and I co-chaired) we combined the
> afternoon run groups since there where so few entrants.  This meant
> we had twice as many people signed up to work in the trailer than was
> necessary.  Since you were one of the later arriving trailer workers,
> all the spots were filled by the time you got there.  Since it wasn't
> raining at that time I asked if you could work course
> instead.  Your response was to pack up and leave the event
> without working. Very mature.

Yeah and thanks for asking why I left, rather than ASSuming such as you
did.  You wanna know why I left?  I'd been there since 9 AM, in the cold,
pouring rain... and by the time worktime came, I was getting SICK.  The
prospect of spending an hour or more out in the cold blowing wind was not
appealing, especially since the REASON I got there early was to ensure an
in-trailer work assignment.

So yeah, I left. I'd rather bail and risk not getting sick. But guess
what?  I spent the next three days sick ANYWAY, so you can be happy about
that, if you even believe it.  Had I stayed, odds are it would have been
even worse.

> Normally I wouldn't send this to the general list, but it seems
> appropriate considering your diatribe.  Hopefully others will read
> it and realize the source of most of Rob Glover's problems is Rob
> Glover, and act accordingly. Also, I would hope that you might have
> learned from your many experiences, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

And all this originated because I publically stated a dislike for Holiday
Inn, which was then taken as a personal insult by a Divisional organizer.

Now you and the rest of your little SFR Clique(tm) has managed to alienate
yet another player from your elitist group of Holier-Than-Thou types that
prefers to sit back and pat themselves on the back for working their butts
off for "the good of the region," and then attack those who might have a
difference of opinion.  Not true?  Well, it's sure how it comes across to
me, and to others.  Remember the NASA school a few months back?  I spoke
to no fewer than SIX long-timers, and every one of them agreed with my
assessment of SFR.

Guess what? I've made MANY, MANY suggestions to the region and offered to
help more times than I can count. They've all been IGNORED or passed over
as "unnecessary."

I can see clearly that my opinion is not valid, or even welcomed in this
region.  I've no doubt failed to suck up to the right people, attend all
the steering committee meetings, which are so conveniently held way down
in the south bay, where no one in the east bay can realistically get to
during the week... OR chaired a bunch of events.

I had planned to get more involved with the region this year and try to
help improve areas that I felt needed work.  I wanted to make it more open
to new autocrossers (which I realize now isn't what the region wants), and
so on.

No, you just want people to come cheer for you and praise you for being so
good and so Holy and tell you what great drivers you are.  Homey don't
play that.  And the difference between myself and some of the others is
that I'm not afraid to speak up and piss people off.

It also appears that Sacramento is the same way, based on Jeannine's
reaction.  AAS and NASA are the only ones NOT like that from what I've
seen so far.  And the common denomiator there is that THEY AREN'T
AFFILIATED WITH THE SCCA.  Isn't that interesting?

There's just no point in even attempting to deal with the SCCA anymore.
NASA just got a new member.

Rob