Re: Buying a car trailer.

To: boriselp@altavista.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a car trailer.
From: Toy4speed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 01:36:58 EST
Hi Boris:

I bought my 16ft trailer at Action Trailer Sales in San Jose.  Their address
is 1346 E.Taylor St.  Ph# 408-288-6236.  Owner is George Morris.  A very
honest and knowledgeable man.  He also is a Porsche club member.  He can fill
you in on styles, towing ease, hitches, different floors.  I checked Trailer
Toys in Tracy also but felt George's trailers though more expensive were of
better design.

I have a 16x8ft trailer, steel floor, drop axle, tandem wheels.  The drop
axle design allows the trailer to sit much lower to the ground.  Some
trailers have "beavertails" which is the rear end of trailer angled down so
its easier to load the car up ramps.  The drop axle has no beavertail because
it already rides low.  Problem is some steep driveways, large speedbumps.
Compare them, the drop axle is more spendy, but I like the car lower to the
ground.  Just nervous I guess.  Some trailers have wooden floors, others are
totally open in the middle (no floor).  Good for oil changes I suppose.  I
figured if I ever needed to haul wood, the steel floor would come in handy as
a utility trailer.  Get electric brakes.  This requires a brake controller to
be installed in your tow vehicle if not already done.  Nice 'cuz you can
adjust the braking sensitivity.  Sometimes it seems my trailer actually helps
the lousy stock brakes on my Tahoe.  Learn to load the car so the weight is
properly distributed on the trailer axles.  Get good quality straps for the
axles or tires,  D rings on the trailer make it easier to strap that car
down.  A winch is nice to have in case at the end of the day your car can't
drive up the trailer :(    My trailer was about $2150 after a racer discount.
 Total with tax, installation of some options, about $2600.  Remember
trailers commonly come in two widths, 8ft (normal) and wide (I think 9ft).
My side gate limited me to the 8ft model, which carries most vehicles.  I
think trucks and 4x4 vehicles would require the wide model to fit onto.  Oh
yeah, after you drive the car on the trailer, it's usually hard to get out of
the car because the driver door hits the fender of the trailer.  George's
Texax Bragg models have removeable drivers side fenders.  Nice feature.
Sometimes my son climbs out the hatch if we don't bother with the fender.
Hope this helps.

Don
'84 supra
formerly ESP, now DSP (oh boy, no V-8s)