Re: Buying a car trailer.

To: Boris Elpiner <boriselp@altavista.net>
Subject: Re: Buying a car trailer.
From: Dan Williamson <muyrapido@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:40:41 -0800 (PST)
Boris,

Well a couple of places maybe not exactly in the bay area would be either
Travlin Toys in Tracy
off of MacCarhur and 205 or BC Trailer sales in Manteca off of Lathrop Road and
99.  Both have
excellent selection and there prices are cheaper then the bay area...

Things to look for... well for you new Boxster.. first you will probably want
to go with dual axle
for sure for stability and to accomodate the weight of your car.  Next is to
decide to go with
wood deck or metal... both have their own advantages. A metal trailer is
heavier but will last
longer than a wood trailer in the long run.

A wood deck trailer with box-frame will be just as strong and lighter but will
need a little more
care such as applying a good wood treatment about once or twice a year
depending where it is
stored.  But if cared for, can last up to a good 10-15 years...  Next would be
the size... I have
a 16" deck which is large enought to hold a Miata, or even my new Neon with
some room to spare and
I even have towed my friend's Buick Grand National once too with no problem.
Total lengh is
around 20ft from rear to tounge.. barely fits in a garage without angling it
when you park.  A
16-18 ft trailer weighs around 1200-1500 lbs depending on the surface and the
frame.

Next thing is to make sure you can get the car on the trailer.. meaning that it
is not too high, a
beaver-tail trailer takes care of this in most circumstances in combo with
either 4 or 6 ft ramps
you can get the lowest of cars on now problem.  If this is still now low
enough, most places sell
dropped axle trailers which will lower the total deck high by up to 2-3".  Also
there are tilt bed
trailers which the whole bed tilts... these are a little more expensive but are
pretty trickand
lots of Porsche owners use them.

Hope this helps...

Dan
(ex part-time trailer sales monkey)

--- Boris Elpiner <boriselp@altavista.net> wrote:
> What are the good places to buy an open wheel car trailer in SF Bay Area?
>What kind of things
> should I be looking for in a trailer? Is there a good web site with
>information on bying a
> trailer and towing in general?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Boris.