Re: Matt's question on Street tires

To: Alan Pozner <apozner@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Matt's question on Street tires
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:10:22 -0500
Not exactly. The ST classes are VERY restrictive to certain cars. STS
small sedans no limited slips of any value. STS2 has very small
displacement sports cars. STX is pretty much the domain of 4wd subbies.
STU is limited to sedans.

Plus, you have to do major work to suspensions and interiors to be
competitive. To me, I would have thought that the original ST guys would
have opted for Rcomps with those setups. But they didn't. Now, we have a
counter-intuitive deal where only modded cars can be competitive on
street tires.

However, ST has given the illusion that anyone who wants to run street
tires has a place to play. That isn't a precise argument, IMO.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the SEB decided to
take one stock class and offer it in two flavors. One just like the
current class and the other without swaybars, catbacks and aftermarket
dual adjustable shocks (limited to one adjustment) and 140+ treadwear
rating tires. Then sit back and watch to see which class had the greater
number of competitors. This would be a true test to see which way would
be REALLY the most popular.

Oh............and since all the problems with speed seem to be in SS
cars, SS would be the class I would suggest for the experiment.

Keep flamin' guys <grin>