Re: [evolution-disc.] Faster Cars, Tighter Courses?

To: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Faster Cars, Tighter Courses?
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 01:28:00 -0800
On Feb 22, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Mark Sirota wrote:
> > The point I was trying to make was that if 2.1.A (I
> > hope I got the number right) must be followed this
> > precisely, then courses will have to change as
> > technology improves to keep these new unprepared cars
> > under the maximum allowable corner speed.
>
> I agree completely, Katie.  I was only concerned with Alan's assertion
> about the spread between slow and fast; I claim the slow cars have
> sped
> up too.

Depends on the base year you are using I suppose. I picked 1993 as an
arbitrary year since the C4 Corvettes were still dominant in SS. If
you compare a C6 Z06 with a 1993-prep C4 it's going to be a lot
faster. Now let's compare 1993 HS cars vs the MINI Cooper. In 1993
the Civic Si, the Celica ST and the MX-3 were all top HS cars (I'm
sure if I forgot some top-level car someone will remind me). Haven't
seen either the Civic or the Celica at an event recently but a MX-3
did finish 6th at Nationals in 2004. Also that was the first year
that my V-6 Audi 90 Quattro Sport was available and I think I proved
this year that it's as fast as the MINI Cooper so I think one could
legitimately argue that HS at least hasn't gotten faster at all since
'93.

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                                 email:
alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                         Yahoo IM: AlanBDahl
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl   ICQ: 52688023