Re: "Open that bottle for Sid night" was, RIP Sid Deleon, age

To: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: "Open that bottle for Sid night" was, RIP Sid Deleon, age
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:32:19 -0600
Hey, Gang.

I've stayed out of this discussion until now -- having said what I
wanted to say in the guestbook that's linked to Sid's obit.  You can
read my comments there if you like.  However, since I've probably known
him longer and autocrossed with him more than anybody else on this list,
I thought I might toss in a couple of additional points.

You're right, Phil -- Sid WAS the real deal.  I can't begin to tell you
about all the fun we had together over all those many years.  And Momma
Gail has been the backbone of Delta Region and our statewide TLAC series
for more years than I care to count.  A couple of years ago, we here in
Red River Region gave her a tee shirt that read, "SHE -- Who Must be
Obeyed!"

What many of you might not know is the full extent of what Sid and Gail
have been through over the past 5 or 6 years.  Both have had their own
serious medical problems.  Sid lost a lung to cancer a few years ago and
then, while recovering from that, he smacked the McKamey 'Vette into the
wall while drag racing at No Problem.  He was well on his way to
recovery from his cancer surgery but he never fully recovered from the
crash.  Gail has had her own share of medical trouble in recent years
and also had a lot of medical problems with her Mom.  Plus, they
suffered a tremendous loss from Hurricane Katrina.

I wouldn't wish what they've been through on anybody for any reason.

I'm not a wine drinker, but I think about Sid every time I pop the top
on another cool one.  He will be sorely missed -- not just here in
Louisiana but throughout the entire autox community.

RIP, my friend

John