Re: Kuhmo ECSTA V700 on Lotus Europa?

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: Kuhmo ECSTA V700 on Lotus Europa?
From: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:04:42 -0500
On Feb 13, 2004, at 2:18 PM, pethier@isd.net wrote:
> Yokohama A032R  175-60-13
> I'm just not convinced that these are sticky enough to be competitive.
>  I'm
> willing to hear arguments.  More expensive than the Kumho, but only 14
> bucks
> more.  If I went this way, I imagine I would want the "S" rather than
> the "H"
> compound.

I ran A032Rs on my BMW (not a light car!) as the first R compound tire
I used on it.  The G-Cube reported a max. lateral G load of 1.33 on
them when they were new.  This is essentially identical to the early G
readings on the V700s I ran after that and the Hoosiers I have now.
They slowly hardened to where they were only getting in the 1.2-1.25
range.  The V700s had a similar curve, but had less tread left by the
time they got there.  The Hoosiers had a moderate season on them and
were still making high 1.2xs when last used.

The S compound option was not available back then, so I don't know how
that changes the equation.

The Yokohamas did fine in the rain through most of their life
(including my first FSTD, second in FTD to only one other car), and I
drove them to and from events.  The Kumhos did OK in light to moderate
rain early on, but were definitely more skittish over streaming water
or puddles than the Yokohamas.  If I have driven the Hoosiers in the
rain I have suppressed the memory... :-)

I haven't had the opportunity to drive the Hoosiers on concrete, so I
can't say how much better they are on it vs asphalt.  My performance on
concrete has been poor enough I am not willing to even start commenting
on the other tire's effectiveness.

David