Kuhmo ECSTA V700 on Lotus Europa?

To: lotuseuropa@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Kuhmo ECSTA V700 on Lotus Europa?
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:18:33 -0600
I am sick of my hard old R1's and am about to pry open my wallet.  I'd like some
advice.

I have a Lotus Europa (1450-pound car) with 6 x 13 wheels.  I am not planning
on cutting the wheelwells, so autocross-tire selection is limited.  In the past,
I have used 185-60-13 tires from either BRG or Yoko.  I drive the car very
little
on the street (300 miles a year or so) and I don't change the tires.  All the
autocross sites in my area are asphalt.  I do not do track events, so maybe
overheating is not a factor.

My choices seem to be:

Hoosier R3S03  185-60-13
This is the only tire I can get in 185.  Hoosier is pretty gonzo about telling
us not to drive them on the street.  Road hazards could be a problem for such
light tires, and I carry a AAA card instead of a spare tire.  Combined with
the higher price, I need to give these a pass.

Yokohama A032R  175-60-13
I'm just not convinced that these are sticky enough to be competitive.  I'm
willing to hear arguments.  More expensive than the Kumho, but only 14 bucks
more.  If I went this way, I imagine I would want the "S" rather than the "H"
compound.

Kuhmo ECSTA V700 175-60-13
These seem like the default choice.  They are surely stickier than the Yokes.
 I have heard some folks say that they are stickier than Hoosiers on asphalt.
 Several sources say that the ECSTA V700 is not as good a tire as other Kumho
models, but I apparently have no choice, as this is the only Kumho tire I know
about that will fit the car.

I have some questions about heat cycling and shaving.

Heat cycling:  This is a pretty tricky business, so maybe it's worth paying
Tire Rack to do this under their controlled circumstances.  I am not convinced
it's necessary with such a light car, but...

Shaving:  Kumho seems to think that shaving is necessary for autocross use,
but they may be thinking of heavier cars on concrete in the heat, not a Europa
on asphalt in Minnesota.  I'd rather not mess with shaving (or pay for it),
but if you all believe the tires will cord in a heartbeat without it, I'd like
to hear about it.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L

pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"Drifting is the synchronized swimming of auto competitions."  -Gene Bennett