Re: Kuhmo ECSTA V700 on Lotus Europa?

To: pethier@isd.net, lotuseuropa@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kuhmo ECSTA V700 on Lotus Europa?
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:30:31 -0500
Phil,

I cannot give you current information but I can related to your situation
since I used to drive my 1974 Europa on Hoosier Autocrossers (bias ply) on
the street. It was sold in 1996 so I don't have any current tire info.

Tread depth (lack of in the rain) was my biggest concern with any minimal
tread autocross tire. I suspect that you will have no problem autocrossing
in the dry with a current 6/32 tread depth R tire since the car is so
light. Heat cycling causing grip to deteriorate probably won't be much of a
problem compared to the "calendar time" making the compound give up. The
Tire Rack or self performed heat cycling is intended, I think, to improve
tread life. I seriously doubt that you will need that if your tires are
already lasting for years.

Pick an R tire compound with good shelf life and decent tread depth.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF