Re: Those of you using AOL

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Those of you using AOL
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:31:32 -0500
>So by omitting a small ISP such as mine, but allowing hotmail/MSN
>spam in, is the correct way to respond? Simplistic approach (but
>it IS AOL).
>
>Matt Murray

My guess is that you DON'T KNOW the whole story.

The fastest way for an ISP to get on the black lists is to allow an "open
server"
that lets spammers send thousands of e-mails without even needing an account
on the ISP.  Many just overlook the security settings.
If hotmail/MSN had an open server (no evidence of that), it would also get black
listed.

With the effort expended by AOL/hotmail/msn for blocking spam leaving their
systems, I am willing to bet that the spam you see "from" them is forged.

My ISP used a black list for a short while and the spam dropped off
tremendously.
 One friend (on RoadRunner) had his mail blocked because the RoadRunner server
handling his mail was "open" and RoadRunner hadn't closed it after being
informed.
 RoadRunner's reaction was to block the (required) mail account that the warning
of the open server was sent to.

I really have no sympathy for the ISPs who allow their servers to be used by
the spammers (even unintentionally).

Instead of bitching at us or AOL, how about a note to the ISP about them getting
blocked and asking what they intend to do about it.