Re: Complete ProSolo points....

To: <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Complete ProSolo points....
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Org>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:53:35 -0700
> You don't need 40 points to go to Topeka. If you are making a run at a
> championship, all you need are 36 points since if you win at Topeka, you
> will win it all.

With 3 or more championship caliber drivers in the same region, it's quite
conceivable one of them will never get a win in their part of the country
and therefore not have a shot at winning the overall, whereas they would if
they lived elsewhere.

Also, beyond 1st place (some of us do care about that<s>), it gets much
harder.

In the West Coast ESP (where arguably the there are 3-6 out of the top 6 ESP
ProSolo drivers are), they could (and are) pounding on each other, with only
one person winning and everyone else loosing a lot of points compared to the
people in the midwest and east. So you can easily see a situation where
those drivers could finish 1-2-3 (or even 1-2-3-4-5-6) in the Finale, and
wind up more like 1-6-7-8-9-10 in the overall season results.

Regional variations are a problem, and while it may be relatively easy to
bum a competitive stock class ride (or just bring your own shocks<s>)
anywhere in the country, the pickings get a lot thinner in non-stock
classes. It's tough enough averaging nearly 1000 miles each way to go to
each ProSolo in "your region"... the thought of travelling 2000-3000 miles
just to find a place to compete is bordering on the absurd.

> Can the system be tweaked to make it work better? Sure, but don't throw
out
> the series basis that makes ProSolo what it is. My 2 cents and more.. :)

Charles' proposal still does include a series aspect... just like they do in
Baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball, Soccer... and then adds a playoffs
at the end (just like they do in all those other sports). I realize many
(all?) auto racing series do not use a playoffs, but that doesn't mean
racing couldn't do something like virtually every other major sport (other
than doing it differently for varieties sake... which isn't necessarily bad
either).