Re: Is AutoX for Me?

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: Is AutoX for Me?
From: "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@foo3.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:41:50 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Rocky Entriken wrote:

> Yes.
>
> add another reason: advanced driver education. What you learn on the
> autocross course could save your life someday (or maybe just reduce the
> severity of the accident).
>
> Autox has the potential to make safer drivers out of dangerous ones (and do
> it in a palatable way since we fool them into thinking they are doing it for
> fun). :-)

true.  I only autocrossed for one season back in 1994, but i've carried
the skills with me.  Enough so that last year when going 80 on the freeway
at night and the pickup truck in front of me lost some furniture into the
lane, I was able to make a high speed emergency move to avoid the debris -
the Honda Civic Si behind me tried to follow, but he ended up eating the
concrete center barrier, destroying the left-front of the car, causing the
thing to spin out of control and slam into the guardrail on the right side
of the freeway (after spinning across 5 lanes of traffic).  I was unhurt
and my Rx7 was undamaged - granted the Rx7 can make an emergency lane
change at much higher speeds than a Civic, but my autox experience gave me
the skills to know what to do, as opposed to plowing into the debris or
eating the wall.

FWIW, I don't believe anyone was injured in the Honda.