Re: Ft. Myers

To: Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net, PbPied@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Ft. Myers
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:53:58 -0600
>Your position is ultimately untenable because, if the course design truly
>can't accommodate/compensate for reasonable driver error, autocross as a
>sport would quickly cease to exist as site and insurance availability
>became prohibitively expensive.

Or unavailable at virtually any cost.

I did a marque-club national design on a smallish lot with 20 light standards.
 I designed it so that when a car's vector was pointing at a light standard,
that light standard was 100 feet away.  I said at the driver's meeting that
essentially three things could go wrong to get a car into a light standard:

1.  Total brake failure.
2.  Total steering failure.
3.  Total brain failure.
I believed that two out the three would probably be required to allow contact.
 I think that's the kind of course you need.

I was not in Florida, so I can't speak to the specifics of this case.  But I
suggest that folks who were there apply this standard and see what they think.