Re: Ft. Myers

To: autox@autox.team.net, mr_two_2001@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Ft. Myers
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:30:58 EST
Sean,

I disagree with your assertion that there were incidents not caused
by stupid mistakes.  Driving over one's head, or beyond the direct
controlled operating capabilities of a vehicle is a stupid mistake,
perhaps the biggest and most common one.  "Gotta save this run"
is responsible for almost all incidents involving vehicle or property
damage.

About the 'Vette...  While we were waiting for emergency respondents
to check the corner workers over, the driver told me that he had missed
his turn-in on the left hander after the crossover, putting him late (and
off-line), but he had tried to "get back" when the car "just went".

Sounds like a major error in judgment to me.  All concerned were just
lucky as hell with the results of a driver's blunder.  "Just going that fast"
is no excuse for attempting something that a car or car/driver combination
is not capable of.

Sorry to throw water on the theories that "things just happen", or "it was
the course's fault", or "high speeds caused it".  The DRIVER, and only
the DRIVER decides what control inputs to make.  If someone has no
experience autocrossing at 60 + and flat out, they should make an honest
assessment of the risks they take by trying to go 100%.

A single timing/line error, such as putting two wheels into the marbles
can result in a spin, or momentary loss of directional control.  Hey, that's
part of the sport, and we all do it on the way to searching for the best
time we can post.  What is totally wrong-headed, and where the real
trouble begins, starts when a driver ignores the Cardinal Rule: Regain
full control of the vehicle, BEFORE attempting to complete the course
at speed.

While I will certainly agree that some sequences of autocross course
elements have a tendency to challenge a driver's ability to maintain
control, it is the driver who exceeds his/her own abilities.  No, the
course didn't make you do it, YOU were driving.

Alan Sheidler

BTW, I never asked the course workers their take on the one incident,
but any combination of these elements HAD to be part of being hit:

1.  In the wrong spot.
2.  Not paying attention.
3.  Improper or late reaction.