Re: Driving from Washington to Pennsylvania

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving from Washington to Pennsylvania
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:50:11 -0800
On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 12:45  AM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> If you do take I80 across Wyoming, you may want to consider the 287
> cutoff to
> Denver.  Basically at Laramie you take US 287 south out of town, and
> you are on
> a nice scenic two lane road through more high plains and rolling
> mountains.
> Most Salt Lake road racers take this route during the summer when
> heading to
> the race tracks in Colorado.  You come out on the western edge of The
> Great
> Flat Spot, go through Fort Collins where you jump on I25 to Denver,
> then east
> on I70.

If you do take this road beware that on the Colorado side this is a
*huge* speed trap. Bill Beutow and I got stopped and ticketed on this
stretch of road back in '93. When we went by the cop (traveling the
other way, no radar on according to my Passport and Bill's detector) we
were doing maybe 3-4 mph over. He did a U-turn and then followed us for
what was probably 10-15 miles until we came upon his buddy *sitting
sideways in the road* and both received tickets for 15 over! Nothing we
could do to talk our way out of it either, we were railroaded. Since
then not only have I avoided this stretch of highway, I've tried to
avoid Colorado altogether if their police are going to play games like
that.

- Alan Dahl