Re: Pylon misunderstands NASA

To: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pylon misunderstands NASA
From: Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:03:05 -0700
On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 06:52 , Dennis Hale wrote:

>> You don't aid your arguments by posting
> straightforward, flat-out lies such as this, Dennis.
>
> The SFR policy wrgt P & M cars is to allow two events
> a year to comply with various things, including sound
> control. That means you get one modification per year.

Really?  Where does it say that?  Sup. 11 says:

"
Sound Policy: The sound limit is 95 dbA at 100 feet. If an entrant
records sound reading(s) during an event in excess of the limit, the
entrant is charged with a "sound violation". Second and subsequent
"sound violations" during the year ("year" is intended to include
regular schedule, Slush schedule, and any special events during a
calendar year) will result in disqualification and loss of series points
for the event(s) violated. When a weekend includes events on more than
one day, sound violations recorded on more than one day will be counted
as a single violation.  Disqualification may be appealed with a written
explanation presented in person at a regularly scheduled meeting of the
SFR Solo II Steering Committee.
"

That says that on your second AND SUBSEQUENT event violations you will
lose points FOR THAT EVENT (which doesn't apply to weekends and which
you can appeal).

That's a far cry from what you say above, Dennis.  How do you reconcile
the two statements?

> These cars do not test on the highway like your
> stockers Kevin.

That's not what I hear from Barry.  ;)  Besides, by your own claim there
is at least one other autocross series in the area that welcomes people
interested in doing sound testing, no?

> The bottom line is, SFR does not allow these cars. No
> lie. You were part of the group supporting the policy,
> don't be so clever in your third party rebuttal.

I don't know exactly what you mean about "supporting the policy".  I've
been a steering committee member off and on since 1995(?) I think.  As
far as I can recall the sound policy hasn't changed during that period.
In a private post you said I was a member of the kommittee (sic) that
investigated a noise complaint; I think that was before my time.  While
an SC member, I certainly did support all the supplemental rules as
voted, though anyone who attended the meetings will tell you that I
didn't agree with all of them!  As an event chair I also tried to
enforce all the rules fairly, and I certainly never would respond to a
sound issue differently than my interpretation of the rule above.

The bottom line is, SFR certainly does allow P and M cars.  They do have
to follow the same rules as everybody else.  There is no selective
enforcement that I've witnessed or heard of in the last six years.

I've quoted rules and given first-hand observation.  You've employed
emphatic assertion - do you have anything more substantive to offer?

KeS