Re: Kumho Ecsta 712 thoughts...

To: Bob Pariza <bpariza@yahoo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kumho Ecsta 712 thoughts...
From: Michael McAvoy <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:25:56 US/Pacific
Bob Pariza wrote:

> Now then, do any of you fine folks have an opinion on the 712s that you'd
> like to share with my friend and I?

I've had them on my Saturn SC2 for about 2 years, about 25K miles.  Probably a
few months left still.  I have autocrossed the car on occasion, and drive
pretty hard on the street.

They have good but not outstanding grip.  They don't feel particularly
confident, so it takes a while to really trust them.  Once you are used to it,
not too hard to find and maintain the limit.  Nice and quiet, and smooth
riding.  When new, EXCELLENT wet grip, but that's going away with wear.

Good fro street driving, but not really a good competition tire I think.

Don't even think about using them in snow!  You will likely realize that your
driveway isn't quite as level as you thought, and you can't even get out of
it...  ;)

I think I will be getting some Potenza S-03's next time, though...

- Michael
McAvoy