Re: How do you support Club Officials

To: "Glenn Duensing" <bluethunder@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: How do you support Club Officials
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:47:21 -0500
I know of no one who does this stuff for money.  Your "pay scale" is not
relevant as most people will do it for free. (Although to be honest, your
15% off for an EM is kinda cheapo. :) )  Give them a fair and open
environment in which to work.  Make it easy and rewarding take on volunteer
responsibilities.  Get them excited about getting involved.  Show them
respect.  Reward them in ways other than monetary.

It takes a special leader to accomplish this stuff IMO.  Without a
respected, solidifying leader figure there become too many "micro-leaders",
all with their own adgenda and program to push.   Picking on a certain
Westerly region, I've seen some notes flying around various lists that
indicate in-fighting and power struggles among the core group of leaders.
Lot's of little squabbles, accusations, and jabs on the net.  Quickest way
to turn people away...I wouldn't touch that group with a 20' pole.  For
whatever reason, some people lose focus on what the mandate is and get taken
"off mission" by their petty distractions.

Anyway, thinking "we're not paying people enough" is barking up the wrong
tree IMHO, take a look at your program and the environment you are asking
people to come into.  Just my two cents.

> Here in LAland, we "paid" our officials a percentage off their entry fees.
> Chairman, treasurer, newsletter editor and equipment manager get 50% off,
> E-board gets 25%, Event Master 15% other event officials 10% off. This was
> done to increase members to volunteer for assignments. It hasn't worked.
> Some people over and over. There are some people that haven't paid for an
> event for over 10 years.
>
> So how do you get your people?

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets