Re: Dangerous Stuff

To: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Dangerous Stuff
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:22:02 -0400
At 04:31 AM 6/19/2002 -0500, Charles R. Schultz wrote:
>If they'd change the signs (and enforce 'em) from "Slower Traffic Keep
>Right" to "Keep Right Except to Pass," the damn slowpokes (other than
>the trucks with 65 mph governors) wouldn't be in the way.

Sorry, won't solve the problem. Yesterday morning was typical:

Three lanes with moderate traffic. I'm in the middle lane of the three
going about 70 in a 65 (RED mustangs stand out) with numerous cars in front
in my lane. Left lane is clear. Right lane has a pickup going about 65
maybe 5 cars ahead of me. Guy comes up behind me in my lane and goes to the
right lane instead of the clear left lane. Catches the pickup and squeezes
into the middle lane and then goes directly to the left lane. Why didn't he
go to the left lane first? He didn't get off at the next exits. The view
was clear. I see this kind of  bone head move almost every day. I guess
these guys/gals think they are "safer" from cops if they stay out of the
left lane . . . even though they cut in and out of traffic. Most of these
fools can't "read" traffic worth a darn. Many will do what another guy did
a  day or two ago. They (or at least I) can see that the lane for an exit
that is only half a mile away is bumper to bumper until the exit but moving
at over the speed limit. Do they simply join the end of the line? Not them.
They gain 4 or 5 cars and force their way in just in time for the exit . . .

Then you have one of my favorite dumb moves. Guy/gal is behind someone on a
merge to a freeway ramp. Cuts left across the painted lines before the car
in front even gets to the "legit" place to start merging and then moves
NEXT to the guy who NEEDS to merge left into the spot the guy behind him
just plugged. Dumb. Discourteous. A lot of the time, these guys will keep
moving left through several lanes of busy traffic as if they have NASCAR
spotters. When they do, they get out of the way of the guy they cut off . .
. if that guy is watching better than they are. You also have the inverse.
The guy who stayed out in the left lane until the last moment and is
rapidly moving right for an exit while others are trying to merge to the
left from an on ramp and have enough trouble seeing the traffic/opening
that is already in the lane without rearending the folks ahead of him that
are slowing for the exit.

Basically the roads are full of people who have no common sense, no
courtesy, and no appreciation for the laws of physics. Most also seem to
have no appreciation for speed laws either.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF