computer advice - off topic - wake to ring?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: computer advice - off topic - wake to ring?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:55:36 -0500
Yes, I know this is the wrong place, but this is the biggest bunch of USA
computer folks I know, and the advice I have been getting locally isn't
doing the trick.

I have an emachines T4170 running Windows XP.

(OK, you can make all the jokes now about Phil coming out of the Stone Age
at last.  Some of you remember when I cruised this list with an Atari 800.)

The problem is that it seems to be set to something called "Wake To Ring".
Any time the phone rings or anyone in the house picks up a phone, the
computer boots up.  Since I only want the computer on when I plan to use it,
this annoys me.

I have attempted to find this feature to no avail.  How the heck do I turn
this thing off?

Obviously, you want to reply directly to me at pethier@isd.net before Mark
takes an ax to my account for starting yet another irrelevant thread.

Phil Ethier