Help! Clutch pedal assembly on E36 M3

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Clutch pedal assembly on E36 M3
From: ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 02:36:32 -0400
This is a tad off topic (I think) but it is driving me crazy.

The clutch pedal (and arm it is attached to) in the M3 is made of plastic, as
opposed to the gas and brake pedal arms which are metal.  The plastic clutch
pedal assembly is making this noisy creeeeeeeek sound like CRAZY whenever the
clutch is depressed.  Lubricating the hinges works temporarily.

Why would BMW make this part out of plastic when the brake pedal assembly is
made of metal?  Was it to save weight?  Has anyone else had this problem in an
M3, or 3 series of similar year (92-98)?  BTW, this is a 97 with about 74,000
mi.

I am looking for a way to either super-lubricate this thing--or at worst,
replace the clutch pedal and arm (if possible).  Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Will