88 RX-7 Shift Lever "issues"

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 88 RX-7 Shift Lever "issues"
From: "Red Raevyn" <redraevyn@softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:24:17 -0400
A friend of mine just bought an RX-7, and I drove it back for him from the
Annapolis area to here in SE PA.   As I was about a 1/4 mile from his house
(ironically... although it's better than if it were on I-95) I took it out of
5th, slowed down and turned onto his road, then couldn't get it back in gear,
it was just too loose.   I'm used to my Neuspeed short shift kit so I had
thought it was too loose the whole way, heh, but this time it wasn't going
anywhere.   I stopped the car and saw that where the shift lever mounts to the
transmission housing (or whatever it is) the bolts were gone.... fantastic...
on pulling the shift lever out, the bolts had fallen down into the housing.  I
did manage to get them out, put them back in (discovering that they slip in
and out.... like pencils in a jar, no idea how I got through the first 200
miles, in I-95 rush hour traffic with that), and drive the rest of the way to
his house very very carefully.    His dad had test driven it, and the seller
didn't have the bolts in, his dad told the seller to get bolts or forget about
selling the car, heh, so apparently the seller didn't bother getting bolts
that fit the holes >:(

So my question....   I figure we can just find new bolts, hopefully, but there
are metal shavings all over the place because of the shift lever popping in
and out and being generally bad.   Also, I was looking in his Haynes manual,
and it mentioned refilling the case (is that the 'shift lever case' or the
tranny case or what anyway? Don't have the book here =P) with lubricant if the
housing had been removed.   Well there was no gasket in between the shift
lever mount and where it was attached, and there isn't any lubricant visible.
So I'm wondering whether or not I need to refill that with something, heh, and
maybe what it would be I should use.  :p

Thanks a ton...
~Red~