RE: One in three tires might fail new U.S. rules

To: "Teamdotnet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: One in three tires might fail new U.S. rules
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 06:25:45 -0500
> perform for
> a short time at low inflation levels to ensure an extra margin of safety.

Which quite commonly happens to tires.

> One proposed test would take the tires from the endurance test
> and run them
> under-inflated for 90 minutes at speeds topping out at 99 miles
> per hour. "

Which also happens much too often.

> O....kay.  Yeah, that's really going to be what happens to our beloved R
> compound tires.  I know we've had issues with "speed creep" at

Rember, the DOT certification that R compound tires get is the same as ALL
other DOT certified tires.  They are not restricted to driving on autocross
courses or even just to or from them.

Why should one tire with the same certification be treated differently from
all others?