Re: engine swap in 93 RX-7

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine swap in 93 RX-7
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:17:50 -0400
I used to road race an ITS class 2nd gen. RX7.  I remember when one of the
front runners, Bret DePedro, who owns a race shop specializing in rotaries
(and now Spec Miatas), blew an engine in his 2nd gen. RX7 during a practice
day.  He and a buddy drained the fluids, disconnected a few things, and
lifted the motor into a pickup.  He took it back to his shop, and when I
arrived at the track the next morning the motor was back in his car and
running.  He qualified and ran up front as usual.

Now, granted, this was an ITS car with no A/C, power steering, or smog
stuff, so it was undoubtedly a lot easier than a street car (especially a
3rd gen with all of its turbo plumbing), and it was an experienced mechanic,
but I was still amazed at how easy it looked.

Brad B.