Re: engine swap in 93 RX-7

To: <Bottorff25@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine swap in 93 RX-7
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:24:56 -0400
IT SUCKS!!!  Actually I haven't messed with a 3rd Gen, but I changed the
motor in a non turbo 2nd Gen (89) and it was evil.  That engine swap was
worse than the other 6 put together.  I doubt it gets any easier with 2
turbos and more stringent emissions standards.

Much of this is due to the fact that there was not a separate engine
harness.  It was part of the chassis harness.  This meant that the entire
engine had to be unwired before it could be pulled.  And there are a lot of
wires.  We labeled all of the connectors and vacuum lines we removed, and
there were ~90 of them required to pull the motor.  Part of what complicated
it was the fact that the Intake Manifold was "S" shaped, and bolted together
in 3 separate pieces with wiring and vacuum lines running in the recesses of
the "S".  For your sanity's sake, I hope they separated the chassis and
engine harnesses in the 3G.

My Civic on the other hand requires me to disconnect 3 vacuum lines, 2 fuel
lines, the radiator hoses, heater hoses, and 4 plugs.  EASY!

Dave Hardy
89 SM
DILYSI Motorsports - Drive It Like You Stole It!