Anyone know a cool wheel stud removal tool / trick?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Anyone know a cool wheel stud removal tool / trick?
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:03:17 -0700
I need to replace all of the wheel studs on a late model firebird, and
I'm hoping to be able to do it without pulling the rear axles (and the
front hubs, if I can get away with it).  I know better than to just
whack 'em with a sledge.

I'm looking for a tool that can press the studs through from the
outside, without putting undue pressure on anything.  I'm thinking
something like a c-clamp, but with one side forked to go around the stud
to allow it to be pushed through.

If you'll forgive some terrible, not-to-scale ascii art (switch to a
fixed font like courier if it looks weird),

             _
   Backing  | ______
    Plate-> | ||-- |--|  <- hypothetical tool
------------|--|
            |  |-- <- studs
 axle       |_

To make matters more difficult, the clearance to the backing plate is
pretty tight.

Anyone have any ideas / tricks / tools for this?  I've searched, but so
far I'm out of luck unless I switch classes and start driving a semi
(there are some *really* cool tools for replacing those wheel studs).

Thanks
-Brooks