Re: Sexy Cars, WAS: DS vs ES

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Sexy Cars, WAS: DS vs ES
From: JD_Kemp@URSCorp.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:21:50 -0400
Larry-

I was also a big fan of HNM III, and miss his writings in R&T.
Occasionally, a "Manney-ism" slips into my conversation, and folks always
think I'm SOOO funny.  They don't know it's simple plagiarism...  Or, as I
prefer to think of it, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Meanwhile, back at the E-Type quote...  I'd originally heard that line
attributed to HNM III, but somebody (can't remember who?) told me it was
Sir Stirling...  A quick check of "Bartlett's Quotations" on-line had no
reference to "Crumpet catcher" (Go figger?) but no less than Hemmings Motor
News attributed the quote to...  (dramatic pause)  Henry N Manney.

All of you reading this who are saying "Who the heck was Henry Manney?"
should go stand in a corner and read archival copies of Road & Track until
you figure it out.  If you're saying "Who was Stirling Moss" then you are a
mouth breathing Drongo!

I stand corrected, you are absolutey right, it was Y'r F'thful & Ob'd'nt
Srvnt, Henry N Manney.  Thanks for the input, Lorenzo!  Maybe I should
apply for the job of carrying YOUR pencils!

Peace, Love & Pushrods-
JD Kemp &
"Lucretia MacEvil" #13 MGB

                      "Larry Steckel"

                      <lorenzoscribe@h         To:      JD_Kemp@URSCorp.com

                      otmail.com>              cc:      autox@autox.team.net

                                               Subject: Re: Sexy Cars, WAS: DS
vs ES
                      05/10/02 06:41

                      PM

J.D.

If memory serves, it wasn't Sirling Moss who coined the phrase about the
XK-E being the greatest crumpet catcher known to man, it was Henry Manney
in
an article for Road & Track magazine.  I miss YrHmblSvt. Mr Manney will
always be sorely missed by everyone who loves cars and excellent writing.

Larry Steckel
Not fit to carry Henry Manney's pencils