Synthetic oil

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Synthetic oil
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:46:38 -0700
I'd like to through in one real-world measurement into this synthetic
oil debate. My old autocross car is a 1990 Miata which I raced from
1989-1993. I was concerned that the racing would cause extra wear on the
engine so I switched over to RedLine synthetic oil at about 30k and have
stuck with it ever since, changing my oil every 5-6,000 miles. At about
151k the engine burned a exhaust valve when the header bolts loosened up
causing a lean condition. After I brought it in I got a call from my
mechanic wondering what type of oil I had been running. Seems that the
cylinder bores had *no* wear on them! He said that he could not measure
any wear at all and that the original cross-hatching could still be
seen. He had never seen an engine like that before and was amazed.

Perhaps I am just lucky but this is enough proof for me of the
superiority of synthetic oils and RedLine in particular. I plan to keep
using it in the Miata (now at 171,000 miles and still going strong) and
in any future vehicles I buy.

A satisfied customer,

- Alan Dahl