Re: Noisy Tires

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy Tires
From: "Michael Hood" <mhood@frontlinepc.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:18:14 -0500
I rescently put some 185/60/15 ZE-502's on my Jetta. They are the 420
Treadwear version and for being rocks, they grip like mad especially in the
rain. I've put about 3k on mine, many of which are from brisk twisty
mountain roadtrips from when I needed more room than I had in the miata :)
Mine are nice and quiet. Matter of fact I like them so much I'm probably
going to swap the pirelli's on my miata to the VW and put the falkens on the
miata.

I haven't noticed any added noise compared to the badyears that they
replaced. I've had other directional tires in years past with wide
treadblocks from other tire co's that were noisy though. How many miles do
you have on yours approximately? Maybe they need more miles before they
become noisy? I'm sure I've worn them a bit more in 3k than most people
would, but... they are a 60,000 mile tire. I'm not showing any wear except
at the shoulder edges. Or possibly, they are loud and so were the factory
badyears on my VW. I've never driven an A3 Jetta with anything but the
factory tires and these falkens I just put on. Either way, mine aren't near
as loud as driving down the street on R compounds in any car I've used for
autox.

-Mike

Hope my falkens don't get really loud after some more miles.