Re: 7 year Maximum Age for Stock Class (was Reclassing)

To: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: 7 year Maximum Age for Stock Class (was Reclassing)
From: Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:35:46 -0700
On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 06:20 , Alan Dahl wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 05:24  PM, Stefanv@aol.com wrote:
>> I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with this aside
>> from
>> making a lot of people angry at you?
>>
>> Are you trying to boost the economy?  Are you a car salesman?
>>
>> I can't conceive of any benefit even remotely connected to autocrossing
>> from
>> eliminating cars more than 10 years old from the stock classes?  What
>> is your
>> motivation?
>
> The problem that folks are trying to solve is that these days it takes
> $5000+ to prep a car to run in Stock category at a National level, once
> you've bought the expensive double-adjustable shocks, exhaust, brake
> pads and all the other things that have to be changed. Plus when you are
> done you end up with a car that's not exactly "stock" and may even be
> something you wouldn't ever want to drive on the street.
>
> So various people have looked at banning double or even
> single-adjustable shocks but it becomes very hard when you have to allow
> people to replace their shocks and have to define just what exactly
> "adjustable" means.

In addition, it helps make rules changeable and enforceable (you could
get rid of things like the swaybar allowance without upsetting the
classing too much, and who the hell can tell whether a '65 Midget is
legal or not?).  It helps make more of the cars IN the classes
competitive, and cleans up the classing structure.  And if I had my way,
it would be enforced at National level events only, so people could
continue running their stock (cough) X1/9s until they were ready to step
up to National competition.  (I know there are issues with keeping the
classes updated with that.)

Announce it three years before inception and you cover 80%+ of the
average Stock class car turnover anyway.

KeS

(would have to change cars if that rule were instituted, and would be
happy to do so)