Re: Novice needs general autocross advice.

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Novice needs general autocross advice.
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:59:56 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffrey Macko <jeffrey@macko.net>

> OH MY GOSH THAT LOOKS LIKE A HECK OF A LOT OF FUN!

Oh, yeah.... :)

> But I've got a few questions.  After doing a little research, it looks
like
> SCCA provides event insurance that covers the spectators, the property,
and
> some secondary medical insurance.  But what about insurance for the car?

You're on your own, as far as the car's concerned.  Also, SCCA does not
provide insurance for spectators at autocross events -- in almost all cases,
there *are* no official spectators, just driving and non-driving
participants.  And the event liability insurance doesn't protect people at
the event -- it insulates the organizers and the site owners from claims
against them.  If you're attending SCCA events and want extra insurance
protection for family members attending with you, consider a family
membership.  Not a major issue, IMO -- I have no worries about taking my
kids with me, since they stay on the far side of the safety lines.

> Is this a non issue?  Try to get an auto policy that permits "timed
events"?

That varies between companies.  Some accept autocross under clauses that
permit attendance at driver schools and skill development events -- you'll
notice that all official descriptions of autocross carefully and
deliberately avoid the word "racing," just for this reason.  Some deny it
outright.  Much may depend on the extent of the damage and your relationship
with your company or agent.  Your best bet is to carefully read your policy,
and carefully ask your agent or company what they think -- and figure at
best, you'll only be able to get a claim through once.  If you're willing to
say who your insurance is with, some of the list members here may be able to
relate some experience with that company.

My insurer -- USAA -- told me all is OK until a timer comes out.

> Anyone seen an accident at an autocross event?

Damage -- especially major damage -- *is* rare, but we'd be lying to say it
doesn't happen very occasionally.   Over 20 years, I've seen a dozen or so
personally, ranging from minor mechanical failures to complete rollovers and
fires.  In some cases, they happen because the driver tries to save a
clearly blown run and pushes the car well beyond limits.  In some cases,
it's just bad luck.  Event organizers work very hard to minimize the
possibility, but there is some risk, otherwise you wouldn't need the helmet.
Realistically, you're safer out on course than driving to and from the
event, so I wouldn't let it keep you from participating.

> Question on tires.  Worth getting a second set?  How many runs do folks
> generally get on a set?

Generally, most folks running a second set have the softer DOT race tires --
if you hear people talking about "R tires," that's what they are.  If you're
running on your street tires, you don't need a second set, so long as
they're in good condition.  I recommend starting on your street tires,
simply because you're used to the car with that setup -- it's one less
variable to deal initially.  Some places require novices to run on street
tires, too -- you'll have to ask your local folks about that.  And it's
easier, both skill-wise and financially, to start on street tires and move
to sticky ones, rather than the other way around.

If you're married, better hope you have an understanding wife, or that she
gets interested, too -- this gets addicting pretty fast! :)

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr