Novice needs general autocross advice.

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Novice needs general autocross advice.
From: Jeffrey Macko <jeffrey@macko.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:53:06 -0800
I went to my local chapter's autocross last week, not to participate, but
just to watch and see what goes on before I get involved.

OH MY GOSH THAT LOOKS LIKE A HECK OF A LOT OF FUN!

But I've got a few questions.  After doing a little research, it looks like
SCCA provides event insurance that covers the spectators, the property, and
some secondary medical insurance.  But what about insurance for the car?

I'm guessing that hitting something would be pretty rare, and even if you
ended up hitting something the damage would probably be pretty minimal
(2-3K) which I could absorb out of pocket.  But I'm a bit apprehensive
taking my car out on the track without a backup plan in case the car caught
fire or some other crazy thing.

Is this a non issue?  Try to get an auto policy that permits "timed events"?
Anyone seen an accident at an autocross event?

Question on tires.  Worth getting a second set?  How many runs do folks
generally get on a set?

Thanks!