Re: Novice needs general autocross advice.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Novice needs general autocross advice.
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:00:42 EST
In a message dated 11/17/01 7:54:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jeffrey@macko.net writes:

> I'm guessing that hitting something would be pretty rare, and even if you
> ended up hitting something the damage would probably be pretty minimal
> (2-3K) which I could absorb out of pocket.  But I'm a bit apprehensive
> taking my car out on the track without a backup plan in case the car caught
> fire or some other crazy thing.
>
> Is this a non issue?  Try to get an auto policy that permits "timed events"?
> Anyone seen an accident at an autocross event?

Cars have rolled, hit light poles, etc.  There have even been deaths at
autocrosses, though it is safer than driving on the road, where there have
been MANY more deaths.  Typically you are going to pay for repairs or
replacement out of your own pocket.

> Question on tires.  Worth getting a second set?  How many runs do folks

That is the subject of much debate.  In some classes you are limited to tires
with 120 or 140 treadwear or higher, depending on your area.    If you run in
one of those classes, a second set of wheels is not worth it.  If you are
using "R" tires, then get another set of wheels.  If running in Stock
classes, many of us buy a set of aftermarket wheels for the street,and use
our OE wheels for autocrossing.

Charlie Davis