Re: STS Cheater Tire Q's

To: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>,
Subject: Re: STS Cheater Tire Q's
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:09:21 -0600
Brian,

My perspective, right or wrong, is that there was pressure from a group of
active individuals to create this class.  It was run at the regional level
for a timer period, and was "trialed" at Nat's as a supplementary class.
Showing that it had enough interest (in terms of number of entrants only)
to support it, it was "made legal"

I have heard these arguments from the beginning.  The basis of class
legality, regarding the tires anyway, is un-enforcable.  This is a fact
that no one can refute.  I personally feel that some people simply chose to
not listen because they felt that they were right, and that a good number
of people supported it as something they wanted.  That number of people
supporting it may not have had the insight and historical advantage that
Roger and others have.  But they still carried the day.  In a way, SCCA was
backed into a corner, almost being forced to accept the class.

The part that bugs me is that many arguments were made because we need to
attract new comers, and this class is better suited to them and their
cars.  That's great and good....but that what regional classes are supposed
to do.  This class immediately drew competitors not from the street, but
from the other existing classes.  Look at the big names on the list...they
are familiar.

While I personally have no problems with differing levels of car prep STS
offers regarding engine and suspension type things, I feel there is no
place at the National level for so called "street tires".  I just don't see
the advantage to anyone running at the National level.  Because you want to
drive to National's on your competition tires?  Because you cannot afford a
second set?  At National's?  I fully support ANY class you care to think up
at your regional events.  Go nuts.  Nationally supported class structure
needs to managed carefully.  (Notice I did NOT say National class structure
should be protected or not changed....I personally support a SP re-
structure to better reflect today's enthuseast.)

> With the talk about Roger's Doom and Gloom Theory of tire creep and how it
> will affect STS, I started thinking about history and how history repeats
> itself and have one question to whoever should answer it:
>
> Since STS is "based in sand", why did the SCCA create this class and its
> ruleset with the knowledge of previous tire problems in stock class and
how
> did the SCCA plan to keep history from repeating itself in STS?

Patrick (preparing for retaliatory strikes) Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI
www.racecabinet.com