Paddock

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Paddock
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:53:34 -0400
Hi folks,
I sent a notice to the SCCA website regarding paddock procedures, however, I
have not seen it posted yet.  Just so there are no surprises:

No more land rush, land grabbing, and saving multiple spaces for our friends
this year.  Yeah, I was guilty, as were a couple from Cen Div, and many
others.  However, with the anticipated 1250 entries, space is at a premium.
You may have heard that paddock is being marked off into two sizes of spaces,
50 x 12 for those pulling enclosed trailers, or open trailers that are
considered part of the racing effort, ie; tire rack, tool box, etc.

The other size is 25 x 12 for those driving to the event in their competition
car, and perhaps pulling a small tire trailer.  Those with trailered cars, and
the trailer not considered part of the racing effort, will be asked to take
the trailer to the trailer parking area, and requested to use the smaller
space.

Combinations of the above are ok, as long as we have the same number of cars
in a compound relative to the large/small spaces.  And compounds are
permitted.  Or "circleing the wagons" as we used to call it in Cen Div.

Question?
How do I save space for my friends?
Answer:  Drive into paddock, select a space suitable to you with adjacent
spaces next to it, find the Paddock Marshall, (probably the only guy in
Paddock wearing a vest) and advise him your paddock number.  At the same time,
advise him/her that you would like to save an aditional 5 spaces for friends.
List the names of those 5 along with the space number.  That gives you a
compound of 6 spaces.

Question?
I need more than 6 spaces, what is my alternative?
Answer:  If adjoining space is remaining, and someone whose name is in one of
those spaces you reserved chooses, they can request an additional 5 spaces.
Again, the names must be inserted into a numbered space.  Now, your group has
11 spaces.  You can continue this, but I would suggest that saving more than
16 spaces could be considered "hogging the turf," so please try and limit to
that many spaces, and certainly not more than 20/21.

Note: If you arrive Monday or later, just go to the info office and record
your space, and make the request to save your additional 5.  These lists will
be used by Paddock Marhshalls and Information booth to direct your friends to
these areas.  It will also allow us to find you in case of emergency.  And it
helps us to see which spaces are remaining and direct late arrivals to those
spaces.

Question?
Let's say I have 6 spaces reserved, all with names, and we really feel we can
crowd in a couple more.  Is that ok?
Answer:  Yep, more in a particular space is good, just try not to encroach on
your neighbors space to do so. That would be bad.  Again, the caveat being
that the names of any extra folks be given to us to enable finding them in
case of emergency.

Question?
I am part of a rather large group, such as CP, SM, etc, and we would like to
park together, and will cetainly need more than 6 to 16 or 20 spaces.  What do
I do now?
Answer:  The back tow rows, those most southerly rows in paddock, are
unrestricted.  Stake your claim, but keep in mind that there are others who
want to do the same thing, and please don't take more than you need. And folks
occupying those areas need to advise Information office of that location.  No
numberd spaces will be in that area, and of course won't be required.

You will also notice that the center north/south lane has been removed to
allow more parking.  Your row entrance will be at either extreme east or
extreme west of paddock

Ok folks, if you have read this far, you are a serious Nationals attendee.
Please keep in mind that those of us working Paddock realize the importance of
camaraderie to this sport, and camaraderie in the paddock area has been a hugh
part of the success of Nationals.  No one wants to take that away, but your
cooperation is sorely needed to pull this off without problems.  We want to
part as the friends we were when we got here, and make this experience just as
enjoyable as it has been in the past.  Who knows, you may end up pitted next
to someone you didn't know, and end up with a new friend.(s)

...another Notice...
The knuckledragger and his henchmen will NOT be dressed in camouflage, or
carrying their NRA memorabilia, guns, slapsticks, billy clubs, handcuffs, and
stinking badges!
Instead, they will be wearing a sissie little vest, and a sissie little name
badge....Please be gentle...8-)

I am purposly cross posting in the interest of time/effort.  Please don't whup
up on me for it...

Phil Osborne
Paddock Marshall Chief