Re: Cone size issue...

To: Phillip Osborne <psosborn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Cone size issue...
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:51:32 -0600
Hi,

Phillip Osborne wrote:

> As a guy who handles cones alot, and have handled my share in Peru, I
> personally like the 12inchers over the 18s.  Why?  Because they cost half as
> much, are much easier to store, take up less space,

We have almost exclusively used the 12 inch cones in the past and have recently
bought more of the 18 inch cones and those have been the same observations -
cost and space!  Space in our cone trailer is limited and it is filling up
quickly - no doubt partly due to the larger cones.

> and when throwing down a
> course, and picking it up again, time is cut practically in half, and you're
> only half as exhausted.  Loading smaller cones into the trailer or storage
> is a breeze.  If the problem is wind or exhausts blowing them out of the
> box, that could be a concern, but depth perception can be overcome by
> running a few events and getting used to them.  When a driver takes one out,
> it will not be dragged for more than half the course before being thrown
> out.  I would think Kart and Mod car drivers would prefer the smaller cones,
> for safety sake, and perhaps visual acuity. However, on some courses with
> exaggerated elevation changes, the taller cones may be necessary to avoid
> surprises.
> Just my two cents...
>
> Phil O.

Depth perception has not been mentioned locally or regionally (our region
generally uses the smaller cones) to my recollection.  However one of our larger
lots has significant elevation change for drainage resulting in a transition
from rising pavement to falling pavement from one parking area to another
portion of the lot.   The Mod/formula cars/people have mentioned that they have
a difficult time seeing the upcoming cones at higher speed sections (sometimes
involving a turn/sweeper at speed) where a dip in the course elevation has
occurred.  This is one of the reasons I have made a point of getting the larger
cones and also to experiment to see why it is that other clubs use them
exclusively.

One of the "tricks" I have employed is using the larger cones in key locations
to help make the course more "visible" and using the smaller cones in less
important areas such as marking grids, keeping timing wires marked/down, and the
outer fringes of course features such as Chicago boxes.

Maybe using a combination of larger and smaller cones is a good option.  It
seems to be working out quite well for us.  There is savings in space, money and
effort as you mentioned.

Regards,

Reijo

--