Re: Cone size issue...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cone size issue...
From: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:36:44 -0400
As a guy who handles cones alot, and have handled my share in Peru, I
personally like the 12inchers over the 18s.  Why?  Because they cost half as
much, are much easier to store, take up less space, and when throwing down a
course, and picking it up again, time is cut practically in half, and you're
only half as exhausted.  Loading smaller cones into the trailer or storage
is a breeze.  If the problem is wind or exhausts blowing them out of the
box, that could be a concern, but depth perception can be overcome by
running a few events and getting used to them.  When a driver takes one out,
it will not be dragged for more than half the course before being thrown
out.  I would think Kart and Mod car drivers would prefer the smaller cones,
for safety sake, and perhaps visual acuity. However, on some courses with
exaggerated elevation changes, the taller cones may be necessary to avoid
surprises.
Just my two cents...

Phil O.