FW: Picks site up!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Picks site up!
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:06:56 -0700
[ I believe this didn't make it out yesterday because I tried to describe
the grand prize and the list filter caught it.  Let's try again. ]

Okay, the moment you've all been waiting for!

North American Pylon has offered the grand prize to the person who can pick
the winner of the most classes successfully, so there's some incentive!

Point your browser to http://www.sirota.org/picks/ and have at it.

Please note a couple of things.  I've been doing this contest for several
years and so I know what's going to go wrong.  Please bear with me here.
I'm just a volunteer.  There's no money in it for me.  I'm not even
competing this year.

1) If your name is misspelled in the picks, it is because the SCCA has it
misspelled in their entry lists.  Don't complain to me, complain to them!

2) Likewise, if your name isn't in there, it's because it's not in the SCCA
entry lists on the web.  Complain to them, not to me.  If it IS in their
entry lists but not on the picks page, only then may you complain to me (and
I promise, I'll fix it.)

3) The system works based on e-mail addresses.  I'd like each person to
submit only one set of picks.  You can resubmit and replace your old picks,
but you must use the same e-mail address each time.  Please be careful on
spelling because I don't have a lot of time to clean up bogus picks.

4) Please don't start a contest to see how many picks you can get.  There's
no point in that.  Last year a well-meaning competitor sent e-mail to
everyone and his mother (literally) asking them to "vote" for him.  All of a
sudden he had hundreds more votes than the next person down, because all of
his mother's friends had submitted picks for him.  No point in totally
skewing the results.  This is not a popularity contest.

5) The system is a very simple CGI-based system.  I wrote it in a matter of
a couple of hours and didn't do a lot of error-checking (you programmers
will understand).  So therefore, yes, it's possible to write an automated
tool to submit picks other than the ones presented in the drop-downs.
Please don't do this.  It's possible, yes.  Please don't play with or hack
my system.  I don't have time for children who do this sort of crap.  If you
want to know how it really works behind the scenes, just ask me.

6) The reason I care about all of this, for those of you who are still
reading, is I have to tally the results at the end, and making me deal with
a bunch of bogus data is very, very frustrating.

7) Have fun!

Again, the URL is http://www.sirota.org/picks

Josh