research projects (off topic)

To: ner@ner.org, autox@autox.team.net, saturn@gravitydesign.net,
Subject: research projects (off topic)
From: Jester097@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:48:28 EDT
Ok motorheads - i'm going back to school in a few weeks and i'm racking my
brain and not having much success (too many malted hops reside in my
cranium).  I'll be a senior this year, and i need to do a research project.
I'd like to center this around some aspect of automotive engineering.

The problem is, our school (JMU, www.jmu.edu) has no engineering program to
speak of so resources are somewhat limited.  We have a machine shop, but no
CNC capabilities.  Does anyone out there have any ideas as to something
feasible (yet interesting) on a small scale?  I have plenty of room to work
in a high-bay lab.

I kicked around some ideas with catalytic converter/emissions research, and
another idea that came to mind was mount some strain gauges on a motor block
and see how it reacts to various (and excessive) loads, and also do some
research into thin films coating on frictional surfaces (swaintech coatings
on main bearings for one example).  Ideas, thoughts?  Any help is greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!

-Ryan 95SC2 #88ES