Re: WRX

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WRX
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:50:50 -0500
POE-installed equipment should satisfy the letter, as well as the intent of
the rules.  Nearly all such manufacturing and assembly activities take place
in special customs-free zones.  These are not necessarily near a seaport,
either -- for instance, Sacramento CA has such an area, even though most of
the goods (electronics, in this case) are shipped overland from the Port of
San Francisco.  I'm willing to bet that the equipment installed on the WRX
is installed in a Subaru facility within such a zone -- which as far as U.S.
Customs is concerned, is part of the Subaru factory system in Japan.  The
car "enters" the U.S. with all the WRX options attached, and import duties
are levied based on that configuration, just as if it had left Japan that
way.

Jamie (knew that course on international transportation would prove useful
someday....)
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr