Re: <sigh> Dale Earnhardt

Subject: Re: <sigh> Dale Earnhardt
From: "Jeff Martynuska" <jpmartynuska@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:16:45 -0500
I remember reading an article on racing trauma years ago. Some of the
injuries received in a high speed accident are not necessarily related to
safety equipment.

When a car continues to roll and loose pieces, like Tony Stewart's wreck,
energy is being disapated, less energy from the impact being transmitted to
the driver.

In an accident such as Sr. Earnhardt's, the car comes to a rapid stop while
the body, and the internal organs are still traveling at speed. The impact
injuries are the internal organs being damaged inside the body, the brain
impacting the inside of the skull, as the body begins to slow. Nothing needs
to invade the passenger compartment.

The tone of Darrell Waltrp's voice conveyed the seriousness of the
accident..... a sad loss to the racing community. Thoughts and Prayers to
Theresa Earnhardt and her children.

Jeff