Re: [kcautox] Re: <sigh> Dale Earnhardt

Subject: Re: [kcautox] Re: <sigh> Dale Earnhardt
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:07:18 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 Hottvr@aol.com wrote:
> I've wondered about the helmet question before?? Why would you not want a full
> face helmet?? Especially when you are going 150+ mph???  I may be wrong by
> saying this(And I'm sure someone will correct me) before Adam Petty's death
> last
> year the last death in Nascar was in 1996. I can't remember who it was in
> 1996 that died. But in less than the last 12 months three Nascar drivers have
> died. Maybe its time for them(Nascar) to take a look around??

I dunno the stats on Nascar deaths.  I do know that you've got people
strapped into steel cages going 180+ mph, basically exactly the same as
they've had for the last 10 or more years.

Rather than focusing on safety gear (where, with the possible exception of
the Hahn or whatever device, there haven't been any advancements in the
last 10+ years), I think it might be better to focus on other ways to slow
the cars down that don't result in bunches of them constantly running 3
wide, 5 deep.  None of the drivers seem to like the aero & shock rules.
To me that says something.

It seems to me that the cars are _too_ equal.  Perhaps it'd be better to
have some rules that limit power ability, such as 6 cylinder motors, low
octane fuel, or something like that.  Now, I get the impression that
everyone's making similar power and they're pushing the same brick through
the air.  But I'll admit to not having a heck of a lot of knowledge here.
I tend to believe that Nascar knows more about it than me and will take
any steps appropriate (including no steps).

Mark