Re: Time for a new SCCA logo

To: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>, "Phil Ethier"
Subject: Re: Time for a new SCCA logo
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:18:21 GMT
>From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
> > Try driving it though a Twin Cities winter or two.  It'll rust.

Phillip Osborne replies
>Anything that WON'T rust up there???

Saturns.  That's the main reason I bought one.  Also turned out to be a very
nice-driving car.

Audi 5000,  Don't know what the difference is from other cars which claim to
have galvanized bodies, but old Audi 5000 cars are rustless.  They may be the
cheapest rustless cars you can buy, often obtainable for $1000 to $1500.
Unfortunately
the steering racks and all that complicated electronics usually conspire to
keep them from staying inexpensive once you buy one.  The 5-cyl engines re
bulletproof,
but the peripherals all go to hell.

Hondas, Mercs, just about everything disintegrates under the onslaught of sand
and salt.  One of the most comical is Toyota pickup.  The box goes faster than
the cab.  Lots of them been made into flatbacks.  One of our autocrossers had
the box fall off his while he was loading firewood.  Next trip was to Menard's
to get treated lumber to build the replacement.

Phil Ethier