Re: Female participation help

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Female participation help
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:28:34
Michael Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com> wrote:

>I am looking over the past participation of the female drivers
>in our club. The numbers seemed to be very low probably
>around 4% to 5% per event. I feel we should be around 10%
>to 15% and growing at this time.

Just an FYI.  I've got the latest (1996) SCCA membership
demographics survey in my hand.  They say that 86% of
the membership is male, and 14% female.  Married people
account for 74% of the membership, 10% are widowed/divorced,
and 16% single.  Not surprisingly, 56% of the membership
has no children, and the median age of members is 40.5.
While you're sitting down, the average household income
is $82,550, but I guess that married people with no kids
tend to both have jobs.

So, if you project that across the published 52,986 members
in 1996, there are only 1,187 single female members in
the entire country.  Clearly, an SCCA event is not the place
to meet single women according to the statistics.   Of
course, don't tell that to Mike "Junior" Johnson..... :-)

-Arthur ("Only 308 single women between 30-40 years old" edition.)