Re: In car Autox Video question

To: pylon@pylon.cc, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In car Autox Video question
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:04:03
"CJ at Pylon" <pylon@pylon.cc> wrote:

>What is the best way to mount a camera in a car?  Should I get
>a rear tower brace and then find a mount that fixes on to that? I am drive
>a 94 Golf.

In my 1995 GTI VR6 (same car as yours), I simply went to
Home Depot and picked up a 3-foot piece of slotted angle
metal, 4 U-bolts, and some wing nuts.  Use the U-bolts
and wingnuts to attach the angle metal across the front
seats, fastening it to the headrest posts.  From there,
all that you'll need to do is figure out how to fasten
your particular camcorder to the bar.  The standard camera
tripod screw is a generic 1/4-20 bolt, BTW.  Since I had
a heavier camcorder than most these days, I used two big
U-bolts over the top, and a rubber door stopper wedge
underneath to get the camera level.  It isn't convenient
to take the camera off the bar, but it absolutely doesn't
move.

I constructed the whole thing for about $13, and all of the
necessary parts were in the same aisle at the local Home
Depot.....

-Arthur ("Taped a few funny spins" edition.)